10.12.2008

Autumn favorite

I bought a cookbook a few years ago with the following pumpkin spice bar recipe in it which has become a family favorite. The cookbook also has a yummy raspberry brownie recipe...maybe I'll post that another time.

1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. ginger
1 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. cloves
1/4 t. salt
1 c. pumpkin
1/2 c. oil
chopped nuts

In a large mixing bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Stir the pumpkin, oil, and nuts into flour mixture.

Spread into an ungreased 16x12 sheet pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a rack. Baking in a sheet pan serves many--30-40 maybe, but it is thin. I've also baked this in a 13x9 pan, cooked it longer and this yields thicker pieces.

I usually frost these moist bars with cream cheese frosting and sprinkle nuts on the top; however, they are delicious without any frosting. Just sprinkle chopped nuts on the top before you bake them for a nice looking top. If you want the frosting recipe, contact me and I'll be happy to send it to you and/or post it.

6 comments:

Stacey said...

i can't wait to try this! it sounds SO good, and I think I might just have your cream cheese frosting recipe already- cause I'm sure that's great too!

Michele said...

You posting this recipe makes me miss you even more! I miss your Thursday treats. Joyce keeps filling your candy jar...but it's just not the same.

Cyndi said...

I am getting the ingredients out ASAP---perfect for a fall day! I'd love to see your cream cheese frosting recipe if you'd like to email it (grandmaforsyth@gmail.com) or just post it. Hope you are feeling better each day.

Breinholt Family said...

Why did reading this recipe make me cry??? I've been doing that a lot lately when I think of you and the blessing of having you in my life! I love you big Sis!

Peggy said...

Mary, It is truly humbling even to the point of tears for me too, to be cancer free without chemo or radiation. I love you too...MOVE CLOSER so we can do things together!!!

Ang said...

Hey lady - is this the recipe in the cookbook you gave me of your favorite recipes???